June 30, 2011

Wipeout HD/Fury

Date played: June 29th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 25 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

My friend came to visit with his wife last night to chat and catch up.  At one point, he mentioned that he had gotten Infamous from the PSN Welcome Back program.  He was still wondering which game to get as his second game.  He had already played Little Big Planet and wasn't interesting in Super Stardust HD so it came down to Dead Nation and Wipeout HD.  I own both of these so he asked me to show him the games so that he could choose.

Magnetic pads confused my friend's wife
We started with Wipeout HD.  I played three online Flash races.  My friend knew the franchise but was impressed by the visuals and music.  His wife was getting a little bit dizzy and was impressed with the speed of the game (and this is only Flash!!!).  I placed fourth, third and second in the first, second and third races respectively.  In the first race, I was three hundredths of a second behind the guy in front of me, it made for a spectacular finish.

Then my friend played.  Oh. My. God.  I forgot how difficult this game is to learn at first.  He destroyed his craft three times, once per lap!  He also did a few funny things like stop holding the throttle to use a a weapon or to absorb a weapon.  He did start navigating a few curves properly in the third lap and I'm sure he could learn because he has played racing games like Shift and Gran Turismo.