June 9, 2011

Moon Chaser

Date played: June 8th
Platform: Android (Samsung Galaxy S)
Time played: 20 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, E3 has been captivating and I haven't actually played many games because I was just watching the conferences, trailers and interviews.  There is a lot of great stuff coming, this is really a good time to be a gamer.

While I was watching a particularly boring part of the Ubisoft conference (they were talking about a Rabbids Kinect game), I checked out the Android marketplace to find a free game or two.  I found a gem in Moon Chaser.  Basically, it's kind of a platformer where your little ninja walks forward automatically.  My role was to touch the screen to increase the gravity on our little ninja friend's world.

Basically, I have to increase gravity when the dude is walking down a slope and let go at the right time to build momentum and speed so that he can launch himself as far as possible when he reaches the top of the next slope.  The goal is just to get to the end of the level before time expires.
Easy to learn, difficult to master

It's tricky to get the timing right but when you do, it almost feels like the Excitebike but faster.  It's a fun little time waster that requires skill and timing.  The graphics looks good and move fast but the game is kind of difficult.  I will definitely go back to this when I'm waiting in a line or something.