June 21, 2011

Resistance 2

Date played: June 20th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 190 minutes
Session fun rating: 5/10

I decided that I should just finish this game so that I can get it off my backlog.  I played through the end of chapter 4 up to the beginning of chapter 7, the last one.  I will finish it next time I play for sure.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game.  I love almost everything about it but the few things I hate, I hate with a passion.  Let's start with what's good.  The story is interesting and unique.  The graphics are good enough and visually interesting for the most part.  The guns are cool and fun to use.  The shooting feels good.

On the other hand, the game is just fucking cheap.  I'm not amazing or anything but I'm pretty good at shooters.  I play through a lot of them and as you can see from other post on this blog, I also play a lot of online COD where I usually do pretty well.  This game however, seems like it wants to punish me every single minute.  The enemies hit hard and Nathan doesn't have a lot of health.  I wouldn't mind that too much if I had a lot of space to move or if the enemies didn't have guns that shoot through fucking walls.

Most of the combat is pretty cramped and once you take a few hits, it takes a while for health to regenerate so that meant a LOT of cheap deaths in my three hours of play.  I hate this but I want to see the ending and will give it my best shot.  I may have enjoyed this game more on an easier difficulty.

As for the levels, I activated some air defenses in Idaho, shot down a big crawling creature, rescued a Russian scientist, met Daedalus, a human injected with Chimeran DNA, killed the Swarm (a swarm of flying creatures resembling a school of fish) and rushed off to Chicago to disable some sort of tower.  Then in Chicago, I went through the streets killing a bunch of weak but numerous enemies, navigated some stupid platforming on floating cars and met the Leviathan.  The Leviathan is a gigantic, Cloverfield type monster.  It was all very scripted but exciting nonetheless.  I shot him down eventually, after being flung through buildings by the thing.
The Leviathan, one of the only really memorable sequences in the game.

I then went to Iceland to disable another tower.  This was pretty tough for the most part.  There was one room that was completely ridiculous.  I had a marksman rifle (my favorite gun in the game), an Auger and a grenade launcher.  I had to hide behind a little wall while my squad mate put his head in my line of fire about two dozen times.  I died a lot here because I was stuck in the corner and had to rely on shoot and hide tactics. hoping not to get shot to bits when I poked my head out.  Either way, I moved on, killed more bad guys and reached the last level.

Nathan is going to turn into a Chimera in about three hours according to the Russian.  This is a last push that starts off near a house in a swampy area.  I tried this sequence a few times but I was tired and just went to bed.  This game is all about trial and error.  It's too bad really, I wanted to love this game but I've been disappointed.