June 24, 2011

Sonic Generations demo

Finally, old, chubby Sonic is back
Date played: June 23rd
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 10 minutes
Session fun rating: 5/10

After finishing Resistance 2, I needed a bit of a palette cleanser and the demo for the new Sonic game just came out .  I haven't played a Sonic game properly since Sonic Adventure 2 although I did try Unleashed so my expectations were pretty neutral.  It turns out, Generations has good ideas but the frame rate killed it for me.

The game seems like it wants to remake memorable levels from previous Sonic games and the demo is a single Green Hill level.  While the level is cool they went back to the old Sonic model (thank God!), the frame rate is not good enough for a game this fast.  It was hard for me to see enemies when running.  I've never been a Sonic fan but I'm always willing to give any game a shot.  If they fix the frame rate before release, this could be fun.