June 15, 2011

Civ World

Date played: June 15th
Platform: Facebook
Time played: 25 minutes
Session fun rating: 5/10

I very rarely play Facebook games but when it's Civilization, I can't resist.  I actually managed to get into the closed beta and there are very few players right now, less than 500.  In 25 minutes, I reached 13th place in the overall rankings, pretty impressive but it won't last.

It's on Facebook but it's not shit
The game is weird as fuck.  It's definitely a Facebook game.  The player is limited by time and there are micro-transactions.  The graphics are crap and the play window is too small.

It's also a Civ game.  It has "turns", civilizations, cities, farms, roads, temples, gold, production hammers and archers.  It just doesn't exactly feel like a Civ game.  It's hard to describe but basically every player gets one city and they can join a civ that is composed of other players in that game.  A game seems like it would last a while, a few weeks at least.

I joined the French Civilization and out of our nine members, I reached the rank of King!  The game is cool and all but right now, I have a very limited view of the game and it's mechanics.  We'll see if I stick with it.