June 20, 2011

L.A. Noire

Date played: June 19th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 150 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

Well, I've finished L.A. Noire!  I have to say, I'm very satisfied with my time in L.A. as detective Cole Phelps.  While I didn't enjoy it as much as Portal 2 or Dead Space 2, L.A. Noire is still a very good game that deserves to be played.  If anything, that facial animation technology will push the industry forward and hopefully finds it's way into other games (GTA V please).

The last 25% of the game or so is where it starts to have a real story instead of just being a collection of short stories. Cole's past in the Army really starts to take center stage as the game steps into it's final stages.  Actually, you even get to play as Jack Kelso, a veteran that was in Cole's unit in the war.  It was surprising how much of the last few missions are played as Kelso but it makes sense since he is the District Attorney's investigator.

Cole becomes very emotional in the last few parts of the game.  So emo!  :-)
While I won't spoil the details, let's just say that there are a few more shootouts and fewer interrogations in the last few bits of the game  The story wraps up pretty nicely and while I'm not a big fan of one of the big spoilers, I still think the ending was good.

Overall, I think Cole Phelps is a great character but he is also a dick sometimes.  In fact, he's a great character because he can be such a snotty little fuck.  I can't wait to see what Rockstar does next.  Bullly 2 or GTA V would be great....

Oh yeah, don't forget to watch the credits until the end!  There is a scene that explains some important things.