June 18, 2011

L.A. Noire

Date played: June 17th and 18th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 180 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

PLOT TWIST!

I won't spoil the game but there was one hell of a plot twist at the end of the Vice desk.  All of the newspaper articles and Cole's war history is kind of coming together now.  The last Vice case was about more Army surplus morphine overdoses, a couple of black jazz musicians, stolen BAR's, some World War 2 vets on the run and a big heist on a ship.

Biggs, my new partner (he was also in Lord of the Rings... weird)
Just as I was wrapping up the case, spoilers happen and the game skips to six months in the future where Phelps is reassigned to the Arson desk.  I actually played through two complete cases in Arson, both of which involved investigating house fires, gas heaters that were tampered with and weirdo suspects.  Also, two more actors from Mad Men!

The first case I accused the wrong guy and got a horrible one star rating.  The second case I did much better.  Now the third case is quite a departure for the game, I was controlling another guy!  He's got a different job and purpose but the gameplay is the same.  This is really refreshing and I'm interested to see where this is going.  I think I am nearing the end of the game but we'll see.