June 15, 2011

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Date played: June 14th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've played the first two Assassin's Creed games and enjoyed them a lot.  The first one was rough but I still enjoyed it.  The second one was much better though!  I loved the story, the combat and the free-running.  When Brotherhood came out, I was interested but I was busy with Black Ops, Kirby and New Vegas.  Then other games came out and I decided to wait for a price drop on Brotherhood.  When I saw it on sale for 20$ at Futureshop, I jumped on the occasion.   To get free shipping, I added Splinter Cell Conviction for 10$, a story for another day.
Ezio is cool, I like him.

When I put the disc in, I had to download an update and install the game which took about 30 minutes.  Then when I put the disc in, I launched Uplay, Ubisoft's weird virtual loyalty program.  I watched a bunch of E3 videos from Uplay which worked well enough.  Then I finally started the game.

It starts off with Ezio chilling out in his little town and the first three missions were very basic fetch quests.  Grab a horse, carry flowers and fix a cannon.  It felt all very pointless.  Soon enough though, our city was attacked by the church.  Basically, the pope is after Ezio and his followers.  I think it's because they want to get that golden ball that let out an alien chick that was talking to Desmond through Ezio in the last game.

This shit is complicated already....

I manned the cannons and fired on some enemy units while the citizens escaped.  It was kind of fun I guess.  I then fought a bunch of guys when they breached our defenses and the combat is better than ever.  I was countering left and right like never before, it's very satisfying.

The enemy grabbed the golden alien chick ball thing.  Ezio had to run away as he was shot and outnumbered. Cut to Desmond who is with his crew.  They need a new hideout so they reach Monteriggioni, Ezio's former forteress city.  Then there was platforming with Desmond and his chick where he had to help her navigate the environment.  It played similar to parts of Enslaved or Ico.  Then they reached their new hideout location and that's where I stopped playing.

The game looks great, the graphics are better than ever.  I will probably keep playing L.A. Noire for now but we'll see.