January 18, 2015

Yoshi's Island

Date played: January 17th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I played through 4 levels of the second world in Yoshi's Island. It's surprising how long the levels are in this game compared to recent platformers. I encountered Koopas for the first time in the game, I met the adorable baseball boys, rode Poochy for a bit, fought a giant monster, got my eggs stolen by rats, ate gusty ghosts and defeated the Bigger Boo.

The Baseball Boys are Shy Guys that play baseball with Yoshi's eggs. Those with mitts will catch and throw the eggs, while those with bats will bat the eggs away. This makes for some pretty interesting level design in spots. The boss level was pretty great too, where I entered a Boo fortress and fought a giant Boo. The trick to fighting these guys is to look away, then bounce eggs on the walls as they are chasing me.