January 2, 2015

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Date played: January 2nd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

Captain Toad is fucking great in every way... I enjoy every second I spend with this game.

I played through the 2nd book and unlocked the 3rd and final book. Toadette had a few more levels to complete, but the one that surprised me the most was the 2nd book finale. I wandered through three towers in the sky, each with it's own set of enemies and challenges. I faced off against an army of fireball throwing hammer bros., then I battled two Kamek mages by throwing turnips into pipes. Finally, I fought a half-dozen hammer bros. and a whole slew of goombas with a turnip cannon to save Toad and get the last star of the book.

This level was awesome!
The last book is a mix of levels for Toad and Toadette. The complexity has definitely gone up a notch. There were many levels with homing bullet bills, platforms moved with the touchscreen, large spinning apparatus, mine pick digging challenges and even an epic mine cart ride in a ghost-ridden mountain. One level was set inside a bird cage where I dodged over-zealous pecking birds and rolled a cylinder by running inside it to reach the star.

My favorite level today however, was a charming little romp through a small wood. There's not much to say really, it was just too fucking cute! It was also fun to navigate and explore. I love this game so much!