January 8, 2015

Final Fantasy XIV

Date played: January 7th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

There is a 14 day free trial for FFXIV on PS4. My brother downloaded it and seemed to like it, so I got it too and made a character. I always love to heal in MMO's, so I made an arcanist, the main healing class in FFXIV.
FFXIV is better than I expected

The game feels a lot like World of Warcraft, as can be expected. However, playing on PS4, I have to use a controller. Surprisingly, this works very well. It uses a clever combination of L2, R2, the face buttons and the directional buttons. That makes for a total of 16 actions available at any time, which is pretty great for a game like this.

I made it to level 11 by completing a bunch of normal, MMO-type quests. You know, collect this crap, kill this stuff, etc. There's a pretty cool public quest system too, where any players who reach the quest's zone will begin participating and earn rewards.

I like my class, I have mostly healing spells, but my two offensive spells have been enough to kill enemies so far. I like what I've played so far, but I'm a bit worried about not having a keyboard to talk to people...on screen keyboards suck...