January 10, 2015

The Swapper

Date played: January 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Playstation Plus is a fucking gold mine...

The Swapper is a creepy puzzle game set on a space station. As far as I could make out from what I played, there are two people on the station and rocks that have been classified as intelligent beings. It's all told through computer terminals and...conversations (?) with the rocks as I walked in front of them.

However, the real reason this game is cool is because of how it plays. It's going to be very difficult to explain in text, but I'll give it a shot. The main character is controlled with the analog stick and can jump. With the second analog stick, there is a cursor on screen that can be moved anywhere. The character can create up to 4 clones of himself anywhere on screen as long as he has line of sight. He can also swap his "soul" to any of them as long as he has line of sight. When swapping, the selected clone becomes the character controlled by the player.

The Swapper and his clones
The trick is, all clones respond to the movements of the analog stick, so all 5 bodies can move at once. On top of that, when a clone dies, he can immediately be replaced with a new clone. It's also important to note that time slows down when selecting an area for a clone to be produced. This means that I was able to climb into empty space by creating a clone above myself, swapping to it and leaving the one below me to die. I could then repeat the process to basically move anywhere by simply making sure my old bodies died fast enough...

Now add puzzles to the mix and things get real fucking tricky real fucking fast.

The main objective is simply to progress. There are terminals that block further progress until I gather a certain number of "orbs". These orbs are locked in puzzle rooms and must be captured with the body that contains the "soul". There are also 3 types of light that block clone creation, swapping or both, respectively.

I swear, every time I solved a puzzle, I felt like a fucking genius. And it's not just a thinking man's game either, there are puzzles that require precise timing. I really love everything about The Swapper and can't wait to play more of it.