January 16, 2015

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: January 15th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 10/10

Fuck yeah baby! Sunset Overdrive just keeps getting better and better.

I started by opening up the new base of operations. I had to defend it's Overcharge vats from enemies in a more difficult night defense mission. I love using deployable weapons to wither down the enemy forces, then take out the rest with explosives and automatic weapons.

Then, I finally found Bryllcream by triangulating his position with a satellite dish. I rushed to his location only to discover he was stuck in a garbage truck...and the truck was on fire. I grabbed some Overcharge barrels and extinguished the fire with the dangerous substance. That was a real fucking dumb move as it summoned a slew of OD mutants. I fought them off and eventually saved Bryllcream. It turns out, the troop leader has no limbs! That's why he was easily imprisoned by troop leader Norton...

I went back to the dojo with Bryllcream and confronted Norton. The coward decided to drink Overcharge instead of backing down. He transformed into a giant OD dragon, grabbed Bryllcream and ran off. This was one of the coolest sequences in a video game in recent memory... I had to chase the dragon, shoot the spikes on it's back, grind on it's back, then stab it in the head. The animation, the action, the explosions, the music, the voice acting, everything was completely ridiculous and amazing! Hell, the hero even grabs a piece of the UI to stab the dragon at one point...
Norton Dragon is a very memorable battle

After defeating the dragon, I completed a bunch of challenges, some of which are starting to be pretty difficult, though I've managed to get gold on all of them so far. I bought a new weapon, a Fizzco rifle that is powerful against robots. I didn't really have a great weapon for these guys, so I felt this was a good purchase.

I played a side quest also. A friend of 4Kim, Just Kim, is adept at making traps. I went with 4Kim to find her by exploring a building. When we found her, she decided to share the plans for a firework trap, but only if I manage to kill 125 OD without using guns. I set up traps and used melee attacks to take them out and was rewarded with the new trap.