January 24, 2015

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: January 23rd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I completed a bunch of side quests today. Hardcore, the big dumb brute in the LARPer group, wanted to have some fun with me. I used a foam sword to smash things, then a crossbow to shoot stuff out of the sky, including a giant blimp. Finally, I fought Hardcore one on one with the foam swords...

The King also had a quest for me. In fact, it was a mini-RPG. I had to complete tasks to level up! The small quests ended in a huge battle against both OD and Fizzco bots where I used a new trap to make things easier for me.

My hero!
The Las Catrinas asked me to find one of their members who has gone missing for a few days. Everyone is convinced she is dead, but I searched around to find her. I found traces of blood and her shoes, so I went on a ceremonial scab killing spree to the tune of authentic Mexican music. After the battle, I discovered that the chick was just pretending to be dead so that she could be with her boyfriend instead of helping the Las Catrinas tend to the sick children... I also completed a small quest to find a girl's father. I found him but accidentally sent him flying to his death in a Fizzco escape pod.

Another side quest was set on the wreck of the boat I had used earlier in the game. A pirate dude decided to make the wreck and the island it rests on a real fortress against OD, Fizzco and scabs. The only things he couldn't defend against were air attacks, so he asked me to kill flying OD. I killed a few of them, which are pretty difficult to take out. He built some anti-air cannons of some sort, so I helped him try them out by aiming the cannons at attackers. It was pretty awesome...

Finally, I completed a really funny, self-aware quest. In fact, I found a lady with a blue quest marker on her head, only to discover that she was renting out the icons to citizens when they needed help... I was tasked with recovering the quest icons from various people around the city. I traveled through most of the city to recover these.

I have a new weapon that I really like too, the Hairspray Bomb. I replaced the TNTeddy with it as it plays pretty much the same role. It's essentially a large bomb, but it scatters missiles as it explodes, hitting enemies that are farther off. It really works well.