January 1, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Date played: January 1st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through the Temple of Droplets, an ice and water based dungeon. For example, there were ice blocks that needed to be melted by the sun, so I had to go to higher levels and figure out how to open "windows" for lack of a better word. There were also a few ice block pushing puzzles that were a nit challenging.

A large portion of the dungeon was traversed by riding a lily pad and pushing it around with the vacuum item. There were also a few puzzles involving the Link clones that can be produced in specific areas. It was dark in certain areas, so I had to inch my way through the darkness to safely pass. Eventually, I picked up a new item, the lantern. This can be used to illuminate dark areas, to light torches and even burn certain enemies.
Giant Octorok battle!

In fact, the final boss was quite vulnerable to this lantern. I faced off against an octorok, the classic Zelda enemy. Being Minish-sized meant that while the boss was a normal octorok, it was fucking gigantic to Link. I used my shield to deflect it's projectiles and after a while, this made the boss freeze for some reason. I had to burn his small tail to deal any real damage. I picked up my water element and heart piece and got the hell out of there.

Back in town, I went back to the castle area to reach the elemental sanctuary and power up my sword. That's when I played a sort of stealth mini-game through the labyrinth in the courtyard. I avoided guards to reach a secret door, enter the castle and reach the sanctuary. I powered up my sword and can now make 2 clones at a time for a total of 3 Links at once.