January 13, 2015

The Swapper

Date played: January 12th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I am captivated by The Swapper. It's puzzles are intense and clever, but the weird story is thought-provoking too. It asks great questions about what it means to be alive. Do we have souls? Are we just the result of chemical reactions? What makes a human, human? What is the magic that makes a person be who they are? Can that magic be manipulated? Can it be moved? Preserved? Killed? Merged with others?

It's a bit confusing at times, but The Swapper manages to make ask these questions in the midst of complex, brain-melting puzzles. A new element was introduced to the puzzles that adds a very challenging layer of complexity. I can now walk on ceilings in some areas. Clones can only be placed in the same direction, that means if I want a clone on the ceiling, I need to create him from a ceiling.

The Scavenger speaks with some of the entities on the station...
This created some crazy fucking shit in terms of puzzles, but with some perseverance, I made it through most puzzles. I found the "head" of the intelligence on board the station. This is a giant stone carving held in a cargo bay of sorts. Strangely, the other "person, the scavenger, convinced me to detach three solar panels from the station to eventually crash the entire thing onto the planet below.

I'm very near the end of the game, but now I think I have to complete every single puzzle. So far, I had been able to skip a few when I was stumped. However, with only about 3 puzzles left, I simply couldn't figure it out. I resorted to a guide for one of the puzzles and may have to do the same for the remaining rooms...