January 10, 2015

Alien: Isolation

Date played: January 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've been wanting to play this ever since I saw the first screenshot... I'm a huge fan of the 4 Alien movies and Prometheus, but sadly there's never really been a good Alien game. Isolation looked like it could be great, so I bought it and tried it out with my brother last night.

We really didn't play a lot, only the intro, but it was impressive nonetheless. The story is about Amanda Ripley, Ellen Ripley's daughter, going out on an expedition in space to investigate the disappearance of the Nostromo, her mother's ship. The game is set about 15 years after the events of the first movie, but before the second movie.

Just like the movie!
The portion I played was mostly inside the small ship the team used to reach the space station they want to investigate. I explored the ship and was struck at the detail shown by the artists of the game... The ship is the same model as the one from the Alien movie and honestly, it looks identical. Hell, I was able to tell which rooms would be on the other side of some doors just from memory of the movie...

After exploring and meeting the small crew, we reached the space station and discovered it had been severely damaged. This meant 3 of us would attempt to enter it by moving through space. There was an accident, and Amanda is stuck alone on the space station. That's the extent of what I played, but so far, I'm very much intrigued.