January 12, 2015

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: January 11th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

You know what? I fucking love Sunset Overdrive.

I played a few challenges, a couple of side missions and two main missions. The thing that really keeps me interested is the insane traversal mechanics. Now that I have the air dash ability, I bet I could get across the entire map without ever touching the ground. Every grind, bounce, dash, dive, water slide and wall run is very satisfying. It was a bit confusing and difficult at first, but now that I'm used to it, I just love it.

I got a new weapon, a sort of boomerang that is useful against Fizzco bots. I also bought a couple of new weapon amps to beef up my arsenal, including an awesome one that spawns missiles on weapon hit. One of the main missions had me investigate a hot dog factory to find Bryllcreem, the scout leader that went missing. To get inside the factory, I had to play a fun mini-game where I used a wrecking ball to smash the walls... Before that though, I smartly decided to smash some crates of energy drink, thus luring dozens of OD. Thankfully, I was able to easily smash, squish and pop the enemies with the wrecking ball.

Pure fun
Another great mission, maybe my favorite in the game yet, had me chasing a runaway train and shoot out it's jet engines as it destroyed everything in it's path. It required that I use every skill in the book to chase it down, then I shot out 6 of it's engines with my trusty, single shot, Dirty Harry pistol.