January 5, 2015

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Date played: January 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I started and finished Ground Zeroes, the prologue to the next big game in the Metal Gear saga. Ground Zeroes is a small game set in a small prison camp. As usual for this series, I didn't understand a fucking word about the story. All I know is that I had to rescue 2 prisoners, a child and a double agent.

Surprisingly for a Metal Gear Solid game, Ground Zeroes plays really damn well. All the special abilities Snake uses to move around are easy to use and accessible. This made exploring the dark, rainy prison camp a lot of fun. I sneaked around camp, using an assault rifle, a tranquilizer gun, C4, night vision goggles and most importantly, binoculars to remain undetected as much as possible.

I was seen a few times but thankfully, the game isn't too unforgiving about it as long as I got the fuck out of there quickly and didn't do anything stupid. It definitely made me excited to see play MGS V, though I'm a kind of worried that the whole story will be complete nonsense... At least I know it will play well enough.