January 9, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Date played: January 8th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Minish Cap!

I went around the world to grab the last few moves from swordmasters, including a fantastic new spin attack. By tapping the attack button while performing the spin attack, Link begins spinning on himself and can move around quickly. It's devastating, it is easily the most powerful move in the game.

I then reached the sanctuary and received the Four Sword. This thing hits harder, shoots out a beam of light and allows Link to make 3 clones of himself. It can also revert people from the stone spell put on by Vaati. As soon as I got out of the sanctuary, I discovered that Vaati had turned Hyrule castle into a dark, evil version of itself.

Dark Hyrule Castle was the last dungeon in the game. Mostly, it was a very standard dungeon except that everything was more difficult. It was a long dungeon that required that I use all the items and skills I've acquired during the game, but nothing really stands out outside of the final battle.

Vaati was a really cool, three part battle. He took on an appropriately evil form, a giant eye with wings... During the first phase, I had to kill little things that flew around him, then attack Vaati directly. I even had to use the gust jar to pull away some armor from the flying things at times.

The second phase was my favorite. Vaati grew bigger wings and 8 circular appendices. I had to shoot these appendices to find out which 4 of the 8 were vulnerable. When I knew which to attack, I then had to clone Link into 4 copies and attack the vulnerable appendices simultaneously. With projectiles flying around from the boss and other obstacles, it was pretty difficult to land a solid hit at times.

Vaati must be defeated!
The final form grew two large arms that were being passed through portals in the ground to attack Link. In this phase, I had to flip over the attacking arm with the cane of Pacci, then shrink down to Minish size and climb into the wounded arm. I attacked weird spinning things in there until the arm was damaged enough, then did the same thing with the second arm. Without his arms, Vaati attacked by shooting 4 lighting balls at me. I cloned myself into 4 and reflected the balls back at him by swinging my swords at the right time. After a few rounds of that, the evil villain died.

Link rescues Zelda! Ezlo, my hat person thing, reverted back to his Minish form and gave the Minish Cap to Princess Zelda, who used it to restore Hyrule to it's original form. The world is saved! Minish Cap is a fantastic Zelda game, it's better than most people give it credit for. It stands on it's own with the cool kinstone system, the shrinking mechanic, fun and unique items and a great art style.