January 18, 2015

Sunset Overdrive

Date played: January 17th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played a ton of Sunset Overdrive and met the faction that will help me in the third section of the city, the docks. Apparently, the man who will build me a boat to get out of the city is the king of a group of LARPers. LARPing is Live Action Role Playing of course...

Anyway, these guys are fucking insane and are fully in character. They have the speech, the clothing, the bad eating habits and the general attitude of medieval people... They are pretty funny actually. I first completed a side quest that had me destroy Fizzco devices around the docks. After that, I helped them defeat some OD in a large courtyard as they chopped trees for their bark...which they use as food. Crazies... This was a cool sequence as I had to defend the area from the OD, but I was given access to some awesome catapults around the yard.

I then helped these guys get some real food by finding a spot with tons of pigeons, then jumping on fire traps to roast the birds. The announcer was funny as hell during this sequence, shouting comments about the number of pigeons I killed. The king then agreed to help me build a boat, but I have to give him some time.

A different side quest with the LARPers was awesome too. I had to attach leeches to my naked body by jumping into some ponds. Then, I took some weird medicine so that the leeches would suck it into their bodies, which we would then transfer to a patient... It's complete nonsense of course, but the medicine was an opportunity for the game to be even more insane than usual. The whole world became filled with lava and the hero had to chase after a Fizzie balloon. There were even skeletons instead of OD!
I will defend the Overcharge vats!

I completed a bunch of challenges, then headed to the next main mission. My friend set up a new base at the docks in a large ship. This became another place for him to cook amps and place Overcharge vats. Of course, this meant fighting OD at night to defend the place. The layout is a lot more interesting than the other 2 forts because of the way the OD swarm the place. I was able to really take advantage of the machine gun traps.