January 19, 2015

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Date played: January 18th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I played through the second level with my daughter. One thing that's pretty cool about Luigi's Mansion is that while the game is separated into real levels, they explore some of the same areas. For example, the second mission starts Luigi deeper into the mansion than the first mission did. Every item I collected is still gone though. They even have a dumb way to explain it as the professor "beams" Luigi into rooms by turning him into pixels and shooting him through security cameras that Luigi has seen already. It's pretty clever and works well.

Luigi fights one of the thieves
The mission had me collect 4 gears to rebuild a machine in the foyer. These gears were stolen by large, red ghosts. I explored the area and found the 4 thieves in various rooms where I had to fight them for the piece. These ghosts have a lot more health than the earlier green ghosts, so that means Luigi must "suck" them in for longer before they are defeated. I also encountered some blue ghosts that like to hide in objects and won't come out until I find their hiding spot.