January 1, 2015

Metroid: Other M

Date played: January 1st
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

Other M is a lot of fun to play. I made some good progress through Sector 1 and am ready to explore new areas, but I have to make my way there first. I made my way through many alien filled rooms. I battled a group of flying robot drones which led to Samus finding a great upgrade to her main cannon. This diffusion beam generates area damage after shooting a charged beam shot and has proven very useful.

I got stuck for a bit, running around, trying to find somewhere to go, but all I could find were doors opened by super missiles, which I don't have yet. Eventually, I found a small crack in a wall that could be blown up. In one of the mysterious rooms. I faced off against a weird creature that lived at the bottom of a giant egg shell half. It was protected by a new type of enemy, flying poison-spitting creatures.
These guys are really fun to fight

Later, I made my way through a water filled corridor where I fought dangerous fish. Then there was a cool puzzle where I had to raise and lower water levels in a large room to progress, including a great, wall jumping finale. In another room, a large, rainy one, I used small tracks to move in morph ball mode until I faced off against the deadliest enemy yet, a giant 6 legged creature with a weak spot on it's belly. At times, it would flip itself over so the weak spot moved to the top, forcing me to gain higher ground to damage it. It was a really cool fight! In fact, I fought another one of these a bit later in a different room. I'm still making my way back to the main area through some new rooms.