January 11, 2015

Halo 2 Anniversary

Date played: January 10th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

The Arbiter attempts to recover the icon, the key to activating Halo. I played 2 levels, Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone. Sacred Icon was kind of boring... Most of it was the Arbiter making his way through tunnels and fighting the Flood and some sentinels. The one part that was interesting was fighting huge rocket launching sentinel robots. These things have shields in the front, so it was easier to use Arbiter's cloaking ability, get behind the robot and stick some plasma grenades on it.

The Arbiter is a great character
Quarantine Zone was a lot more fun. It's mostly a vehicle level that starts in a Spectre, the 4 passenger assault vehicle of the Covenant, similar to Warthogs in a lot of ways. Along the way, I stole a Scorpion tank that had been taken by the Flood. I figured even though it's a lot slower than the Spectre, it's also a lot more powerful and would make the mission easier.

I was right. In the Scorpion, I blasted through dozens and dozens of Flood driven Ghosts, Warthogs, Wraiths and Scorpions. I also took out a large number of Sentinel robots. Finally, I reached the lift that leads to the Library and it's Icon. I defended myself from attacking Flood on foot, using mostly the shotgun and the energy sword. When I got to the relic, there was a great scene where Miranda Keyes and Johnson recover the icon, then Arbiter attacks them to steal it. Suddenly, the group is interrupted by Tartarus, the leader of the Brutes. The gorilla-looking dude steals the icon and throws the Arbiter into an abyss... It seems the Elites have been replaced with the Brutes as the top brass of the Covenant's army.