September 15, 2011

lilt line

Date played: September 14th
Platform: Wii
Time played: 15 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10
lilt line has a great retro art style

Let me tell you how I found this game.  Someone on Gamefaqs told me that there were DS demos on the Wii store so I tried to find it but as I was navigating Nintendo's horrible excuse for an online store interface, I stumbled upon this game.  I have no idea what "lilt" means, I never heard of the game before and all I had to go on was the shitty description from Wiiware and the name of the developer, Gaijin Games.  While I haven't played their other games, I've heard good things about the Bit.Trip series.  I also don't know why the title isn't capitalized but whatever.

I had 600 points sitting in my Wii wallet (it's been there for years!) and this was only 500 points so I said "Fuck it, I'm getting it".  The game is weird, it's very minimalistic in style and gameplay.  Basically, this is a mix between an obstacle course and a rhythm game.  You control a line through a maze by holding the Wii remote sideways and tilting it forward to go up and tilting back to go down.  Then there are highlighted areas where you have to press any button to the beat.

It starts off really easy but after the first three levels, it started really ramping up.  By the 6th song, I hit a wall and couldn't pass the level.  The game basically makes you lose health if you hit a wall or miss a beat.  Now the best part of the game is actually the soundtrack.  DUBSTEP BITCHES!!!

That's right, the music is all dubstep and pretty much the only reason I even considered buying this game.  The music is actually great but I wish I was better at the game so I could see more songs.