September 23, 2011

F1 2010

Date played: September 22nd
Platform: Xbox 360
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

I wasn't planning on buying either of the Codemasters F1 games since I have so many good games to play already but a coworker of mine was interested in getting Guitar Hero and I happened to have an old wired guitar, Guitar Hero 2, 3 and Aerosmith so I offered to sell these to her.  She received F1 2010 in her Xbox bundle so I asked if we could just trade instead and she accepted!

F1 2010 is a pure bred simulation game.  This is a far cry from games like Need For Speed, Split/Second and Mario Kart.  This is even more of a simulation than Gran Turismo...  I start out as a rookie pilot and picked Lotus as my team.  I set everything to easy and only turned off braking assist and set the racing line to corners only.  The game is still fucking difficult.

I practiced on the first track for a few minutes, trying to get used to the controls and feel of the car.  Then I qualified in 15th place, pretty good considering my target was 20th.  The race is a 10 lap event where I managed to overtake quite a few racers early on and was in third place until the third lap.  I had set up my tyre strategy to pit stop at 3 laps.  When I pitted, I was passed by everyone and was 24th....  I did my best to catch up but I had to wait until the 7th lap where most of the other racers stopped to change tyres.  I took 5th place for a while (in front of Schumacher!) but I messed up on a corner and was 7th for the last two laps.
F1 2010 is a game that I wasn't expecting to play

The only little problem is that I hit a guy pretty hard and got a time penalty so even though I completed 7th, the penalty dropped me to 9th.  I was really happy with that position as this was my first race, I even got 2 points in the championship!  I even had a little interview with the press that had dialog choices, it's a nice touch.