September 23, 2011

Gears of War 3

Date played: September 22nd
Platform: Xbox 360
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through Act 1 and everything except the first couple of chapters I was controlling Cole.  He, Baird, a new lady and the newest Carmine were working together to try to find supplies and food in Hanover, home of the Cougars, Cole's Trashball team.  A lot happened in 90 minutes....

COLE TRAIN WHOOOO!
I met a Stranded camp that basically told me to fuck off...  Then I went through a supermarket where I fought a bunch of Lambent.  There are a lot of new enemies with cool and deadly abilities.  Some of them spawn a worm type creature when they die, others shoot giant yellow balls of death, etc.  We found some food and I had to use a mechanized loader to carry the crates.  It had some really cool animations.

I then found a friendly group of Stranded that recognized the Cole Train and were very helpful, providing us with supplies.  It was interesting to see how popular Cole was before E-day, people were cheering for him and stuff.  Then we headed to the Stadium, fought a lot of giant bullet sponge enemies and eventually reached the play field.  Cole had a flashback of his days as a player.  It's the first time in the series that Cole is more than a buff black dude with guns and funny one liners, I hope there is more of this in the game.

The last part of the Act finally introduced some good old fashioned Locust.  It felt good shooting enemies that don't explode...  I found a lot of new weapons too like the powerful Boomshot, incendiary grenades and the Retro Lancer.  The Retro Lancer is powerful, has a bayonet and is fun to use but the recoil is a little harsh.  I eventually reached bridge above Marcus and company's ship and dropped some tickers on the Leviathan as seen in the second chapter.  We then fell off the crumbling bridge and are now trying to meet up with the other COGs.  This game rocks.