April 1, 2011

Alpha Protocol

Date played: March 30th and 31st
Platform: PS3
Time played: 240 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I changed the format of the blog a little bit to show the title of the game in the post title which will hopefully make it easier to navigate.

Anyway, this game is getting better and better.  Last night, I was just hooked and stayed up way too late, I needed lots of coffee this morning! :-)

I played through the entirety of the the Taipei portion of the game which seems like it's probably about 25% of the game.  I'm much more comfortable with the mechanics now and have been enjoying myself a lot.  I actually pretty much only use a silenced pistol and the awesome quick shot ability and some hand to hand stealth take downs.  I also have some experience points in shotguns but so far, they have been really ineffective and it seems like I am better off just shooting them with the pistol or using gadgets.
Taipei!

The story is also really interesting and the plot has been taking some interesting turns throughout.  I decided to save the Taiwanese president's life at the cost of the people rioting in the streets.  There are a lot of different decisions to be made, kind of like Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic.

The one part I hated was a boss fight against a dude called Omen Deng.  He just had way too much health and the fight felt more like a cartoon than a real battle.  The rest of the game is pretty realistic in tone but this boss fight felt like it was out of Ninja Gaiden or Resident Evil.

I also seem to be developing some romantic relationships with my handler and a reporter.  Saucy!