March 30, 2011

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Date played: March 30th
Platform: PC
Time played: 40 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

I finally received the HDMI cable I had ordered and I can now plug my PC into my AV system and receive sound and video through HDMI on my big TV and surround system.  All giddy from the excitement, I decided to play a game that is good for couch play, the isometric Lara Croft game.

I played two levels, the Flooded Passage or something and the Jaws of Death.  The flooded passage was interesting but a bit too long for it's own good.  There were a lot of fights against enemies that are very long to kill.  There was a redeeming moment though and that releasing an enormous ball of steel death down some stairs that killed a shit load of enemies in one shot.  It looked great and was very satisfying.

The other level was quite short, barely even five minutes.  What it lacked in length, it definitely made up in awesome giant creature limb splatter.  Basically, the whole level is a chase.  A giant, frog-like creature with giant teeth chases Lara down a path full of risky jumps and pointy objects.  The very end of the level has Lara pull a lever to squash the abomination with two very deadly and very spiky wheels of death.  Fuck yeah.

Squishy squishy motherfucker!