April 12, 2011

Blur

Date played: April 11th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I had to scratch my competitive online multiplayer itch and I didn't really feel like playing a shooter like CoD or Halo so I went back to one of my favorite games of last year, Blur.  Blur is a racing game that feels like a mix of Mario Kart or Wipeout and Project Gotham Racing.  Basically, Corvette's + Red Shells.

I have played about 10 minutes of the single player game and never liked it.  This game is all about the online racing where you can have up to 20 cars in a single race.  Throw in some nasty weapons and you've got a very hectic race.
The lighting effects are amazing in Blur

I didn't do that well but I think it's just because I was rusty.  I ended up in 4th to 6th place most of the time and was playing against 12-15 people on average.  I did play one 20 player race and I ended in glorious 17th place.  SHAME ON ME.  Anyway, I had a lot of fun with this, I just wish I didn't have to wait 3-4 minutes between races.

Bizarre Creations, the guys who made this game, are unfortunately out of business.  It's too bad really, I loved all of their games (I haven't played The Club) and they could have worked wonders on a sequel to Blur but that is not to be.  Oh yeah and this game has four player split-screen that runs smoothly.  This is as rare in gaming today as internet access was in 1994.  Other developers need to include this feature in racing games in particular.