April 6, 2011

Alpha Protocol

Date played: April 5th and 6th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 240 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

Well, I finished it.

Madison, prepare for penis.
I played a lot of Alpha Protocol over the last two days and I essentially finished Rome and then did the final (very long) mission.  Rome was actually more interesting than the last mission as I had a nice standoff with Marburg.  Basically, everything in Rome led to a final showdown in a museum.  I had to choose with my new ally, Madison Saint James and saving thousands of people's lives.  Also, to up the ante, I had sex with Madison in my apartment.  Hot.

Anyway, I chose to save thousands and that led to the execution of Madison by Marburg.  I then fought Marburg and he eventually ran away.  After that, it was off to shut down Halbech and Alpha Protocol, which I found out were actually working together.  Oh yeah and I fucked Mina, my handler. Oh yeah, I also fucked Scarlet, the photojournalist.  Like Darcy would say; "Fuck YEAH!".

The last mission was ok but it really displayed the technical and mechanical problems of this game.  The guards were tougher, the areas bigger and the stakes higher.  Before going into the mission, I enlisted the help of Shaheed, Albatross and Omar Deng, all former enemies.  The mission starts off really nicely with a good converstation with Leland, the Halbech CEO.

From there it went downhill tough.  The guards were no longer going down in one pistol hit which pretty much ruined my whole strategy.  Then there were a bunch of stupid fights including one against Parker who hides behind bulletproof glass and a bunch of turrets.  I also killed Darcy with a sniper rifle (that fight was buggy as fuck) and arrested the Alpha Protocol head honcho.

I also had to abandon Mina to her death as I wanted to take down Halbech and Alpha Protocol and I had to choose.  In the end, I confronted Leland, kicked the shit out of him and had the satisfaction of watching Marburg let me fuck Leland up because he respected me.  I then left on a nice yacht with Scarlet in my arms.  She turned out she was the sniper who had tried to take out the Taiwanese president but I forgave her because she has such a cute little face.  Also, she puts out so we're good.

Espionage RPG?  Yeah that sounds about right.
Overall, I liked this game.  While there were problems with the mechanics and controls in some spots, as well as plenty of bugs, it was still playable and enjoyable.  It's the kind of game that makes you wish for a sequel so that the developers can fix the problems and make a new story.  I would give this game a 7/10.

Now, moving on to something else I guess!