April 20, 2011

Portal 2

Date played: April 19th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 150 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

Portal 2 is simply amazing.  I had been waiting for it for a while and I just LOVED the first Portal.  I don't want to spoil it so I'll keep this post short but let's just say that Portal 2 is already much better than the first game.

I played about 90 minutes of the single player game.  The opening sequence is fantastic.  There is another sequence involving a robot/AI that is just breathtaking but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.  Suffice is to say, the puzzles are clever, the story is great, the environments look very different than the first game and the addition of new mechanics adds a lot to the game.  I have already had to deal with reflective cubes, lasers, light bridges and jump pads.

I also played some co-op with a friend of mine and that was interesting to say the least.  I had the tall skinny orange robot and she had the small chubby blue robot.  It turns out that coordinating four portals is no small feat.  Also, I am definitely not trustworthy as I have killed my partner intentionally on multiple occasions.  This actually prompted some funny retorts from the AI in charge of our training.

I'm the dude on the left
I should also add that I want Steam on every PS3 game now.  It was faster than the XMB and chatting was easy, even with a controller.