April 2, 2011

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Date played: April 1st
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10
Boring and generic cover, awesome game.

This game is amazing.  I played two missions and both involved recovering a stranded member of the Ghost team.  The game introduced many new concepts like the effects of range on damage and line of sight mechanics.

In the first mission, I had to avoid many enemies with the healer of the group, who was waiting for reinforcements.  Then, I had to take out everyone once two other squad mates joined.  I found it funny that hiding in the bushes provides cover and reduces damage received.  My sniper was moving from bush to bush while taking potshots at the enemy.  Also, characters can enter buildings for added cover which is a cool feature.

The cut scenes are cheesy but they take advantage of the 3D effect of the console.  The next mission introduced the gunner class who fills a more defensive role.  This was the first battle I had with more than three characters in my party and I can see 6 character battles being very strategic.