April 4, 2011

Pilotwings Resort

Date played: April 3rd
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

So I finally gave this game a chance.  I've completed the training and bronze sections of the game and while the first few missions were very easy, it has definitely been picking up speed in terms of challenge quickly.  Now that it's a little tougher, I'm liking it a lot more.

I basically played some events and for the first time, I had to retry an event to get three stars.  There was also a cool mission where I had to take a photo of a light house and another where I had to shoot targets with my plane.  Fun stuff actually!  The only thing I'm not a big fan of so far is the jetpack.  It seems to be a bit difficult to control because in order to stabilize it, it's best to hover.  The problem is that hover is set to the left trigger and I found it very difficult to hit while navigating with the joystick and still holding the device so that I could still see the 3D.

Fun to fly but difficult to control due to a weird control scheme.
I also unlocked some stuff to find in free flight mode, rings to fly through and balloons to pop.  The rings seem to unlock extra content and the balloons unlock additional fly time in free flight mode.  This seems like it will be the meat and potatoes of this game once the few challenge missions are completed.