March 31, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: March 30th
Platform: PS4

I decided to change it up a little bit last night by playing 10 matches of competitive 1 vs 1 and earn my rating there. It's striking how different one on one matches are from regular matches... Overall, I did really well I think, winning 8 or my 10 matches. In most matches, I was completely dominating. In the two that I lost, it was a lot more challenging mainly because I faced players much closer to my skill level.
I score a nice goal, winning the sprint for the ball
There's a weird level of strategy that goes on in these matches. It's a slower game in most cases, much more strategic, but I don't think it's as fun and exciting as 3 vs 3. Many of the players I faced were more defensive. They would wait in their zone for an opportunity to make a save and counterattack. I'm definitely not that kind of player though. I would rush these guys as much as I could, overwhelming them and hoping that they wouldn't catch me off guard too often.

Sometimes, my goals came from grueling battles for the ball, sometimes, they came from me being faster or more often than not, higher than the other guy. Goals would often come from capitalizing on the other players' mistakes too. Since there's no one to back you up, every mistake can be fatal. I loved playing this mode, but more as a quick change of pace than as something I would do on a regular basis.