March 13, 2016

Pikmin 3

Date played: March 13th
Platform: Wii U

My daughter BEGGED me to play some more Pikmin 3... I'm not a huge fan of replaying games that I've already completed, but the way she asked me, I just couldn't say no. Fortunately, when I booted the game, a patch had added a new game mode called "Mission". There are three different types of missions, collecting treasure, beating monsters or a boss run.

We chose the treasure hunt and played the first two missions. It's been a long time since I played this game, so I thought I would have trouble with the controls, but it came back to me right away. The treasure is actually just fruit, and there's a strict time limit to reach a certain number of points. There are bronze, silver and gold medals available.
Golden fruit is worth a lot more
It was surprisingly difficult to get even just the bronze score... The game expects the player to multitask like fucking crazy, and it's hard to keep track of everything. I enjoyed it, it was very challenging. The second mission was even worse since it had more types of Pikmin available and required that I use all three of my little astronauts to succeed. I wouldn't play a lot of this mode, but it was fun for a few missions.