March 16, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: March 15th
Platform: PS4

Even though I only played for about an hour, I made serious progress in Far Cry Primal last night. It started with a mission where I had to kill some Izila warriors to recover an item. I went in as stealthy as I could, but I got spotted pretty quickly. I scrambled to defend myself... I set a trap on the ground near me, I sent my tiger to attack some of them, equipped my bow and shot the enemies quickly.

I made my way towards one of the camps to the East, slowly exploring the map. I stopped a couple of time for bracelet collectibles. During my voyage, I stumbled upon a cave bear, so I killed it, using fire for additional damage. This set fire to the grass in the area... Then a normal bear attacked me, so I fought back, but it ran into the fire and fled. I sent my tiger after it, hoping for a quick kill, but that didn't really work out. The pair of animals ran off into the distance and angered a troop of mammoths! They quickly killed my tiger and trampled in my direction, so I ran like I've never run before.

I ended up losing most of them, except one. So I figured I should try to kill it, even if my beast friend was dead. I impaled the large animal with a few spears, then ran around a tree to avoid it's attacks as much as possible. I then shot it full of arrows as I circled and finally killed it.

When I reached the large camp I had set my sights on, I quickly noticed that it was more dangerous than any other camp I had seen so far. I tried to go stealthy again and sent my owl, but I somehow got spotted on the outskirts of the camp. I think I need to find better hiding spots when I send my owl... This led to a giant bloodbath as I fought the enemies fiercely. I felt like a fucking barbarian as I stuck my spear through an enemy's throat, sent an arrow into the head of another and clubbed another to death as my tiger ate their lifeless bodies...
My village is now very large
It was time for me to return to my village to upgrade my gear, my huts, earn some skills and pick up some new quests. I've now upgraded my club, can craft more arrows with less wood, increased the capacity of my shard carrying pack and improved Sayla's hut. I also crafted a long bow, which has better aim and is great for long range sniper shots. I also learned how to ride my tiger! It increases my travel speed quite a bit and it's really fun to use. I'm starting to use my throwing spears a bit more, since they deal big damage, but they also cost a lot of materials to craft.

Finally, I completed two short village missions. In the first, I had to track a bear's tracks with hunter vision to know why it was sick. In the second, I had to find special glowing mushrooms inside a cave that could cure a child's disease.