March 21, 2016

Transformers Devastation

Date played: March 20th
Platform: PS4

I've had my eye on Transformers Devastation ever since it came out late last year, but it was always a bit too expensive for the kind of game it is. When I saw it on sale for 20$ on PSN though, I finally decided to buy it. This is a brawler made by Platinum Games, most famous for their amazing work on Vanquish, a high speed third person shooter. I also figured this would be a fun game to play with my daughter, who is a fan of the robots in disguise.
Optimus Prime battles Devastator
The game has an amazing look to it, straight out of the 80's cartoon. It truly looks gorgeous and feels like "real" Transformers, none of this Michael Bay crap. I got to play as Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Sideswipe. So far, what I like about the game is the combat. Everything else is kind of forgettable. There's a complicated weapon synthesis system that I don't like very much, a weird skill crafting system, bad map design, boring collectibles and a story that makes about as much sense as Donald Trump. But man, that combat. That combat is sweet as fuck.

Basically, there's a light and heavy attack, a dodge, a jump, some ranged attacks, a special move and an ultimate move. Of course, there is also a "transform" button to turn into vehicle mode. Combat is fast and fierce, feeling almost like a fighting game at times. The dodge is really cool because if it's done at the exact right moment, it activates a slow motion mode for a few seconds, allowing me to get lots of hits on enemies.

My daughter really likes Bumblebee, but I'm having a really hard time playing with him because he's got really low health and doesn't seem to hit as hard as the others. Sideswipe is allright, but doesn't stand out much. I have been loving Optimus though. He hits hard, has lots of health and looks fucking cool.

I fought countless enemies in a nameless city on Earth somewhere. Megatron is up to no good, and there's an Insecticon threat looming. There are also gigantic purple claws damaging the city and using wind to do nefarious things somehow. It's all very stupid, but boy is it fun to fight. I fought various bosses and mini-bosses, including various Constructicons, Megatron and even Devastator, the giant Constructicon built from smaller robots.

There's a lot of stuff I don't like about this game, but the combat makes it all worth it. I can't wait to fight more robots!