March 21, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: March 20th
Platform: PC

I finished XCOM 2!

Boy, that final mission was a real fucking bitch. It was by far the longest, most difficult mission in the game. The first time I played it, I didn't know what to expect at all, so I played normally. That was a big mistake.

On the Avenger, my scientists needed to create an Avatar to pass through the portal. So they took the Commander's body, my body, and linked it to the Avatar body they had created. This meant that I had a extra unit on my team and he is powerful. The Avatar has a mind control ability, a powerful gun, a psionic bomb and a null lance that can hit really hard. The objective of the mission was to defeat the alien Avatars while keeping my own alive.

The first portion of the map is a very normal mission, where I fought Mutons, Andromedons, Sectopods, Codex, Advent soldiers and a couple of Gatekeepers. When I played the mission the first time, I didn't hesitate to use my grenades and other consumables to win. However, when I reached the final room, it quickly became obvious that I had fucked up real bad.

The final room is cordoned off by a bridge, and once inside, there were 3 Avatars and 6 portals. Every fucking turn, the portals would spawn a fresh set of 3 or 4 enemies. Combined with the very powerful Avatar enemies, this quickly became a nightmare. I was overrun, and I wasn't able to even damage one of the Avatars, let alone kill all 3 of them...

I was very frustrated with this, since it took almost 2 hours for me to reach this point. I decided to start over from the beginning to conserve ammo, play more safely and change my strategy. I chose to Mind Control and Dominate the two Gatekeepers just before the final room. The Gatekeepers are very powerful, have high health and can deal damage to large groups. I ended up using them as my main units, leaving my team behind at the bridge.

This was a slow strategy, but it worked. I painfully moved my Gatekeepers straight into enemy territory, damaging the Avatars when I could, then dealing damage to the minions. It sound so simple when I read my text here, but fuck, it was a complete shit show that required extreme precision and very careful planning.

Eventually, I had killed two of the Avatars, with long range support from my team, and moved in for the final kill. Samus Aran got mind controlled, so that fucked me over a little bit, but I used all of my explosives, skills and abilities to take out the boss.
The Commander defeats the Elders
The story wrapped up nicely, with my Commander's Avatar battling the Elders directly in a cut-scene. We won, the aliens have fallen back and the resistance has pushed back the forces of Advent. XCOM 2 was fucking amazing. It's too bad the final mission was such a pain in the ass, but I loved everything else about it!