March 7, 2016

Aliens Infestation

Date played: March 6th
Platform: DS

My daughter has started playing video games on her own, using a 2DS. She's been playing Pokemon Y and Animal Crossing New Leaf. She can't read yet though, so that means I spend a lot of time reading weird ass dialogue over her shoulder every time a new conversation pops up in game. While she was collecting oranges, sea shells and other knick-knacks in her little animal town, I booted up a DS game I've been wanting to try for a while, Aliens Infestation.

The game is a 2D metroidvania featuring a crew of 4 marines who explore a ship, trying to figure out what happened to the crew. They are armed with an automatic rifle and a few grenades. Access to different areas is blocked off my access cards, welded doors and burning steam vents. As I started exploring the area, I fought some old androids and found a few key cards. Eventually, I met my first alien, but it ran away rather quickly.

The game handles well and is pretty fun to play, but combat is a bit weird. When fighting the androids, the only effective way to win is to crouch and shoot. It's awkward and not much fun, but I loved exploring the ship and finding stuff. I also love the alien's sound and animation, but I'm kind of scared to run into it again!