March 21, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: March 20th
Platform: PS4

My evening in Oros started with a short side mission where I had to save a couple of Wenja from some wolves in a cave. I then picked up a hunting side mission to hunt 6 jaguars. These swift felines are difficult to hunt because they are very fast and they run away rather easily. I used my owl to tag them first, then I picked them off with the bow as best I could.

Another side mission sent me to save a group of Wenja from a small Udam camp. I stayed entirely in stealth for this one, using a combination of my owl, panther and bow. I really like the stealth mechanics in this game. They are simple, easy and when you're caught, it's not that big a deal. It's actually really fun to get away with silent murder, but it's also really fun to deal with the horde when I fail.

I then explored a cave system that was quite complex. It had many branching paths, grappling points, hidden caches behind rock walls and even a bear! The cave painting I found in there even had a Ubisoft logo carved into it... Unfortunately, I did something really stupid in the cave. Behind a rock wall, I walked into a room filled with poisonous gas, thinking I would survive long enough to get out alive after grabbing the loot. I was wrong, and died.
My prey, a rare tall elk
The rest of my time was spent exploring the Eastern part of the map, slowly making my way towards some quest givers. I ran into lots of interesting stuff, like a bear who scared off a pack of 3 wolves, a confrontation between two large packs of wolves and even a couple of Wenja having sex on the ground, grunting hard. I captured another bonfire and fought a couple of rare tall elks. The elks are very strong and difficult to kill, though the thrown spears takes them down pretty quick.