March 9, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: March 8th
Platform: PS4

Takkar continues his journey through Oros and help the Wenja tribe grow. Last time I played, I had stopped when the one armed man had thrown me into a pit and pissed on me... I burned a hole in the floor and found myself inside a cave. I fought a couple of jaguars in the cave and tried to find an exit when I found something else that was very interesting.

I got a grappling claw! This thing gives me the ability to grapple onto marked spots and climb high cliffs. So far, it seems it's been mostly shortcuts. Using my new tool, I escaped the cave and went back to the one armed man. He was impressed with my escape and gave me another mission. This time, I had to find some rare ores by looking through some rocky arches to find a bright spot shining in the sun.

The area where the ores were was brimming with Udam warriors, so I sneaked in during the night by swimming at the bottom of a small river. After drowning the nearest guard, I sent my black panther and owl to kill a few dudes, then went in and cleaned up the remaining enemies with my bow. The one armed man congratulated me, upgraded my title to "Smart Piss-Man" and went to live with the other Wenja at the village...
Takkar hunts and gathers in Oros
His arrival led to many new upgrades, like bigger bags to carry meat, bait and weapons. I also crafted a trap, though I haven't tried it yet. I spent a lot of resources on these upgrades, and on new huts, so I spent some time just hunting and gathering. One of my favorite things about this game is simply to hunt and explore. It's very satisfying... Along the way, I tamed a badger. While it's rather weak in combat, it has an awesome unique skill, it scares away other animals. I could see it being useful when I don't want to get attacked by a random animal while doing a mission or something.

To end my night, I completed another vision quest at the shaman's hut. Once again, I was cast into a young mammoth's body. This time, I had to lead a group of 5 of my peers to safety through traps and human warriors. While I love the concept here, the execution is abysmal... These missions are easily the worst in the game because of how difficult it is to control the animal. It doesn't help that the field of view is shit either. I made it through safely, but I hated every moment of it. At least I got a skill point out of it...