March 13, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: March 12th
Platform: PC

I played 2 missions yesterday, one major story mission and a normal strike mission. In the story mission, I had to find a Cortex's point of origin. This was a rather difficult battle, mainly due to the layout of the map. It was a bit more open than usual and quite a bit larger. Thankfully, I didn't have a turn timer, so I could take my time and make intelligent, safe moves. After dealing with the initial wave of enemies, I found an area on the map that looked completely alien, filled with unusual vegetation. Shortly after, I stumbled upon a large gate. A Gatekeeper teleported into the map from the gate, so I killed it. We brought the gate back onto the Avenger for research.
The mysterious gate
Back on the Avenger, I had a lot of stuff to do to study the gate. I had to scramble for supplies to upgrade my shadow chamber, then find even more resources to actually start the research. I also managed to get a huge upgrade to my armor for all my squad. I then spent an unreasonable amount of time customizing my soldiers because I felt that the new armor was too slick for some of the stuff they were wearing...

Once the research was complete on the gate, my top engineer sent a GREMLIN robot through the gate to gather some data. Unfortunately, it couldn't even go through, the gate was looking for a specific organic signature, which the robot didn't have. We still managed to get a glimpse of what was beyond the gate, and it wasn't human at all, maybe not even on Earth... I can't wait to see what happens with this story!

The second mission was more straight-forward, but I had many injured soldiers, so I brought in lower ranked squad members. It wasn't too too hard, but it was definitely harder than if I hadn't had my top people.