March 1, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: February 29th
Platform: PS4

Takkar continues his quest to build a safe place for the Wenja. So it turns out, fighting a bear with nothing more than a bow, a club and a spear is something that's very hard to do... I fought a few bears on my way to see the shaman. Those big guys have a lot of health and they hit really hard, so I had to circle them while stabbing them with the spear when I could. It's become apparent that something like a block, a parry or a dodge would have been a welcome addition to this game. As it stands, my only options are to run away or strafe and heal like crazy.

Anyway, I found the shaman who gave me an interesting beverage seemingly made of various animal bloods, which made Takkar go through a crazy vision. I awake in a beautiful forest where the animals were all glowing gold and weren't scared of me. I followed an owl for a while, then somehow I was able to fly for a while. I followed the owl still and after a few minutes of this craziness, I awoke. I now had an owl companion and had gained the ability to tame beasts.
Takkar goes on a vision quest and becomes a Beast Master
The owl acts as a scout. I can summon it at anytime and view the world through it's eyes as it flies high above the ground. It can tag enemies, create way points and can use hunter vision, just like Takkar. I also bought and ability that lets it attack and kill one enemy every few minutes.

Now that I can tame beasts, the shaman sent me to tame a white wolf. I had to craft some bait, then throw that on the ground near the animal. I then approached it slowly and was able to tame it. The wolf is now under my control, following me and helping me in battle. It's actually very powerful and easy to use. I can point it to attack anything, even from the view of my owl. The only thing that kind of sucks is that I have to feed it meat to heal. I also tamed a dhole, a fox-like predator. That one seems useful when gathering materials.

Speaking of which, I am now able to build and upgrade huts in my village. This grants me access to new skills, missions and items. I built a house for the shaman, for Sayla and I upgraded my own cave. That's when the Udam, the cannibals, attacked our settlement! I met their leader, Ull, a fierce and savage barbarian.

I fought them back with the help of my villagers and my loyal wolf, mostly using a new, upgraded club. The club is nice because it's fast, so it works well with humans, though I think I still prefer the spear for it's range. Once we pushed back the Udam, we had lost many villagers in the battle. Sayla convinced me to counter attack a small Udam settlement nearby. I ransacked the place with the help of my beasts, which should help the Wenja stay safe for a little bit. I can't wait to explore this world some more, there's so much cool stuff to see!