March 3, 2016

Yoshi's Woolly World

Date played: March 2nd
Platform: Wii U

For the first time since we started our March break vacation, my daughter an I got some solid video game playing done. As she watched, I cleared 6 levels of Woolly World. The first was Snifberg the Unfeeling's Castle, the boss castle level for the ice world. The boss itself was the best part, as it featured a giant parka-wearing shy guy who spit out ice cubes at Yoshi.
Snifberg the Unfeeling
The next level was a secret one, 5-S, called Yoshi's Curtain Call. It featured the amazing curtain riding mechanic from a previous level, but amped up the speed significantly. It was actually a lot easier than any of the other secret levels. Thankfully, it was also very fun to play, so I enjoyed it.

That's when we reached the 6th and final world of the game, and played the first 4 levels of it. Unsurprisingly, the theme here is a lot darker, featuring castles, lava and spiders so far. Lair of the Smooch Spiders had Yoshi climbing on spiderwebs and fighting giant spiders. There were also some smaller, adorable spiders that kissed each other when they met. This even created a small yarn heart on the web...

The next, Snag-Stitch Mountain featured some ugly creatures that could be turned into platforms when shot by an egg. This created some interesting puzzles and platforming challenges. Vamoose the Lava Sluice! was one of the more challenging levels in a little while. It's basically a huge underground maze filled with lava pits, fire zippers and fiery enemies. I had even more trouble when I played it a second time to gather all the flowers and yarn balls. For the first time, I had to use a special badge to make my life easier. These badges are bought with the crystals that Yoshi gathers and grant special abilities. I used the one that gave me fire and lava immunity.

Finally, we battled the mid-world boss in Knot-Wing the Koopa's Sky Fort. Again, this level was rather difficult. I had to dodge a plethora of bullet bills, including some homing ones, all while travelling on platforms that disappear after one or two jumps. Knot-Wing the Koopa made a final appearance as the boss. He is now armed with a bullet bill launcher on his back. It was a fun fight, and I can't wait to see the final few levels this wonderful game has to offer.