April 9, 2016

Variety Night Special: Worms, Rally Cars and Rocket Soccer

An evening of worms and cars
Date played: April 8th
Platform: Xbox One & PC

My youngest brother came over last night and we played some video games together all evening. I bought Dirt Rally on PC yesterday, the new game from Codemasters that is all about serious rally driving, so we checked it out a little bit. It's not a multiplayer game, so we didn't play it super long, but it was long enough to know that the game is going to be very fun, but also very difficult. We exchanged the controller during a 4 stage rally,

We only had enough money to buy one of the older cars, from the 70's, so we went with the old Mini Cooper. Even with this under powered, front wheel drive car, we struggled to complete a race without crashing and damaging the vehicle. Damage is permanent and carries over from stage to stage, and repairs cost many seconds. At our best, we placed 3rd I think, and we were both really happy with that result. We also tried one Rally Cross event, where 4 cars battle in a small circuit. That was really cool because there is a "joker lap" where each car has to take a longer route at least once per race.

After this, another of my brothers sent me a text asking to play something with him on Xbox. We were pretty limited in the games we could play together since I don't own many games on that platform, but we settled on Worms Battlegrounds. Worms is a tactical, 2D, turn based game where little worms shoot each other with insane weaponry. Since I had never played it before, it took a while for us to get used to the controls and we lost to my bro repeatedly. It was still kinda fun, since it was against family, but the game itself wasn't great.

Finally, we ended the night with some good old Rocket League. I honestly believe that this game is a modern classic, and that it will always be lots of fun. My bro and I make a great team, so we won most of our matches. When we lost, it wasn't because of mistakes on our part, it was really because the other team was just better, so that felt good.