April 29, 2016

Civilization Beyond Earth

Date played: April 28th
Platform: PC

Civilization is a dangerous game for me. When I start playing, I find it very difficult to stop. I have only played one full game of Beyond Earth when it first came out and haven't touched it since. Yesterday, I was in the mood for some slow ass, strategic, turn based gaming, so I booted it up.

I picked my starting bonuses and founded my first colony in a bay. It's been way too long since I played, and this is a very complex video game, so I stumbled around, trying to figure out what to do. I ended up creating a couple of explorers and soldiers, then started building infrastructure for my city. I soon had a worker who improved the land nearby as well.
The aliens kicked my ass
If there's one thing I fucking hate about Beyond Earth, it's Miasma. This is the green gas that damages any units that end a turn on the tile. This limits exploration and slows down expansion. I tried fighting a horde of aliens to the South-East of my capital with some basic soldiers, but I was clearly outgunned. Honestly, I feel like I didn't start the game well, and I just might start over, now that I've reacquainted myself with Beyond Earth.

Another thing that is very difficult about Beyond Earth is the insane tech tree. There are so many options here, it's crazy. I managed to set up a new outpost which should turn into a city soon enough, and I set up a trade route, but I still feel like I fucked up and that I should start over...