April 9, 2016

Super Mario World

Date played: April 8th
Platform: 3DS

If you were to stop me in the street and asked me what my favorite video game of all time is, odds are I would tell you it's Super Mario World. This game has played a huge role in my gaming life. I know every inch of this fucking game, every secret exit, every hidden coin, every enemy, every sound effect. I've played it so much... I think I must have played through this thing at least 20 times in my life, maybe more.

And I am playing it again. The game was recently re-released on 3DS, so I picked it up and on the first day that I bought it, I reached the 5th world out of 8. Everything in this game is just fucking perfect. The colorful sprites, the amazing music, the precise controls, the devious placement of enemies and traps and of course, the cool items like the feather and our friend Yoshi, come together to make one of the finest video games ever made. The game is also rather difficult, requiring some very precise jumping and quick reflexes.

Having this beautiful gem on 3DS makes it easy to just play a level or two between activities, chores, etc. I can't wait to play more of it.