April 2, 2016

Trackmania Turbo demo

Date played: April 1st
Platform: PS4

Trackmania Turbo is fucking insane! It's a time trial racing game with absurdly fast cars and completely crazy tracks. The demo had 5 single player tracks and included online multiplayer. I played through the 5 tracks and got a gold medal on all of them, though it took repeated tries to get it done.

It was really fun to drive the car around the jump filled tracks. The most important aspect of the driving is drifting. With the right angle, braking and speed, drifts can go for hundreds of meters, and probably more if I had the room. The first track was pretty much just a single big turn. The second was a huge jump with a couple of turns. The third was a series of two large corners. The fourth was a series of U-Turns. Finally, the fifth was a 3 lap event, so that was the hardest of all for sure. A single mistake pretty much ruins any run...
Online play is amazing
Finally, I played an online match. Because these are time trials, it means every car is on the track at the same time, but there is no interaction between the cars. Everyone has a ghost car. And that's a great thing because in the lobby I joined, there were over 100 people! For 5 minutes or so, people can make as many runs as they want of the short track and try to get the best time. At one point, I was in 20-23rd place for a good amount of time. What I didn't know is that the game records your "last" time, not your best time. When I completed another run that honestly, went rather poorly, I placed 33rd.

I liked playing this game a lot, though it's a lot of trial and error and it can get frustrating. However, when things go well, it's really fucking satisfying!