April 29, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: April 28th
Platform: PS4

I finished Far Cry Primal!

First, I went to do the quest that Dah had given me to kill three Izila sisters, but it was really simple. So soon enough, I was infiltrating the Udam homeland. The road led me through a large cavern system, killing Udam soldiers along the way. When I got out, I went straight to the only bonfire in the area and captured it. I was ready to storm Ull's cave.

Ull's cave was rather large, featuring many twisting passages and a maze of rooms. I stayed in stealth as much as possible and made my way to Ull himself, deep inside the cave. The boss battle itself was pretty long, and pretty difficult, but it was a bit easier than the Batari fight for me. While Ull is very strong and has devastating melee attacks, he moves really slow. He called in reinforcements a lot, which were a bit of a problem, but I handled it by moving quickly around the cavernous arena.

My beasts died repeatedly though, since Ull is so strong, I peppered the bad guy with arrows and spears, throwing the occasional fire bomb and sting bomb. I used berserk bombs on the reinforcements, forcing Ull to fight them off. I also made large icicles fall on the villain to stun him and inflict heavy damage. I was running out of materials and weapons, but I took Ull out for good.

As he lay dying, he rushed to his nearby infant, saying that if he was going to die, he would bring his child with him, threatening to stab the baby in the head with a knife... That's when his older daughter, who looks to be about 8 or 9 years old, showed up. When Ull saw her, he showed that he's more than just a barbaric cannibal. He handed the baby to Takkar and pleaded with him to take care of his children. He then died as Takkar took the infant in his hands.

Takkar brought the two children back to the village to be raised as Wenja. Everyone cheered and danced, celebrating their newfound freedom from oppression! I also visited Dah, whose health was getting worse and worse. He asked Takkar to end his misery and kill him before he became too sick to function.
Ull, dying in front of his daughter
After the credits, there was a great little scene... Ull's daughter is shown facing a cave bear, and taming it! She then smiled at the camera before the image faded... It was a really cool little detail and my first thought was that it could be the setup for a potential sequel. That little girl has a lot of personality, even if she doesn't say a word. She is strong, brave, courageous and independent. I would love to see a game set 15 years after the events of Primal where the little girl is the hero.

Far Cry Primal surprised me. It was a lot better than I ever expected it to be and it captured my interest throughout. Sure, some of the side missions were a bit repetitive, but combat was a lot of fun and the available tools added lots of diversity.